Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The Day I Will Never Forget

After watching the intense penalty kicks from the soccer game of USA vs Brazil, reminded me of the most memorable soccer game I was part of.

As I was travelling to Ventura/Camarillo California, it was pouring rain. I was hoping I didn't have to play in this horrible weather. By the time it was for my team to play, luckily it brightened up. So it was time to check in. This team was the All-Star team I had the amazing opportunity to be part of. I saw the team we were playing against. They were twice the size of my team. I literally was scared.

So the game started. I didn't play the 1st half, because the other goalie played. Then it was my turn to play. It was all tied for the whole 2nd half. It was already an intense game. Regulation time ended, then we went on to play extra time. The coach wanted me to play the extra time, so I did just that. It was quite the game already as it was. There was a lot of mud from the rain, so I got the best of it. Extra time ended, then came the penalty kicks.

My All-Star coach chose me to play goalie for the penalty kicks. My response was, "You got to be kidding me. I can't do this. Too much pressure." My coach gave me some words of encouragement which gave me more confidence and calmed me down. So it all started. I never been this focused in my life. I didn't hear any other sounds except for the whistle. I was in my own concentration world. It was all tied up coming into the final round of kicks. It was all up to me. If the ball went passed me, there would be a second round of penalty kicks. So hear I was standing on the goal line praying and concentrating as if my life depended on it. I heard the whistle. My eyes were on the ball. Then all of a sudden I felt my hands hit the ball away from the goal.

I was the 1st one to react with pure excitement. I couldn't believe it. We won this team who was twice our size. I felt the hero, because I knew my teammates were depending on me. It was one of the greatest feelings in the whole wide world. I will never forget this day! The day where I learned patience and confidence is key when playing goalie for the team!


This is the same season where I was elected to the All-Star Team!

Peace Out,

Laurel

No comments: