Monday, May 14, 2012

Mission Decision

As some of you may know, I will be a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints this fall. I would like to share with you how I made a decision to go on a mission.

It all started when I was in middle school. When I was living in California, we had sister missionaries over often. I loved these people. I looked up to them. But I never thought I would become a missionary. I had my eyes set on playing professional basketball or soccer. But things changed. Those missionaries asked if I ever wanted to serve a mission. I said, "Yes." Being a 12 yr old kid, of course I still had a long time even before I could serve. I had to be at least 21. Throughout my teenage years, this desire of mine grew bigger each year. I couldn't wait to turn 21 to serve. Then when I turned 21, I wanted to go on a mission, but the time didn't feel right. So I just continued with school. Throughout school, I suffered with illnesses and other things. It was very hard. Little did I know, these experiences in college would prepare me to serve a mission. By going through the hardships in college, it made me realize how important life is and how much I have a deep love for people. By loving people, it made it that much easier to make the decision of serving the Lord and His people.

If I had it my way, I would wait to go on a mission until my education was done. Then comes the next experience. I wanted to change my major from Sociology to Exercise Science. My university wouldn't let me, because of credit restrictions. I wasn't motivated and didn't like Sociology anymore, so there was no way I would finish that major. So I was looking at different schools to transfer to. I was way beyond confused of which direction to go. This whole entire time, the thought of going on a mission was coming up in my mind. But I just brushed it off, because I still wanted to finish schooling first. After a lot of thinking of praying, I felt that it is best for me to put my education on hold right now, and go on a mission and teach people about the Gospel of Jesus Christ. And hopefully next Wednesday I will get the anticipated letter in the mail telling me where I will go and serve. I can't wait! :)

Live Laugh Love

Love, Laurel

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like it is the right time for you to go. :) It will be the hardest thing you've ever done, but it will be the greatest thing that's ever happened to you.